We all have habits that we would like to change. This is no different when it comes to our digital behaviours.
Take a look at the Digital Resilience worksheet (either online version or printable version) and complete the section called “List your top 3 poor digital habits”.
This should take 5 minutes or less – write down whatever comes to mind. Take a look at the list below if you are looking for some inspiration. Be as specific as possible – try to state the habit, with which device or application and when it happens.
- Checking social media too often when I am bored
- Checking work email outside office hours
- Getting distracted by email in work
- Spending too much time on smartphone
- Losing hours online instead of doing something productive
- Not feeling present with my family/colleagues in the mornings and evenings especially
- I feel unproductive at the end of the day as I get easily distracted by emails especially during the working day
- I have too many work-related email notifications enabled which distract me
- Checking phone first thing in the morning
- Sending emails out of office hours
- Taking lunch at my desk/in front of a screen
- Checking news apps first thing in the morning/constantly
- Checking phone impulsively throughout the day
- Spending too much time in front of screens generally (work & home)
- Constant “screen flicking” once I am on the phone
- Being inactive due to excessive screentime, I rarely take breaks from my desk
- I subscribe to too many emails, and then struggle to unsubscribe